Friday, October 30, 2009

RCISEN2009 - Part One

That stands for Regional Conference on Inclusion and Special Education Needs 2009, held from 27-28th October 2009 at Hotel Equatorial Bangi.

Global Perspective : Regional Initiatives

It is one of the 1st conference I've ever attended in my whole 6 years of service as a special education teacher and it was all financially self-supported. Thanks to such a "supporting" school I have. Anyway...this is one of the best conference I've ever attended...haha...as if I've attended any other.

I've really learned a lot out of this conference which was a pity because the attendance, I consider it as very poor. Most of the participants are mainly UKM students themselves with minority of teachers. Very sad...

Let me share with you a little of what encourages me as an educator, especially as a Christian educator. I will not be sharing much about the details of inclusion and special education needs because .... you might not understand what I am writing about plus there's too much to share here in a blog where people do not have so much time to read. K.I.S.S.

Inclusive education is about reaching the goal of quality education for all and not just going to school.

Create a child-friendly education in school.

Fear ---> RESPECT

Discrimination ---> TOLERENCE

Distrust ---> OPENESS

"...He tells me that if I continue to work hard, I will do well..", said a boy from Pakistan who has to work to support his family and by the time he goes to school, he was already so tired and most of the time did not have the time to do his homework. "He" refers to his teacher who understood his student's situation and rather than scolding him, he encouraged him.
Could we be the teacher who encourage rather than criticize?

"But it is our duty as teachers to prepare children for the world the way it is, not the way we wished it was"

We must be willing to leave our comfort zone in order to achieve a quality education for all.

Now, children learn to pass exam and not to learn life, a productive life to our community.

Measure what we value and not just value what we measure.

1 comment:

akmj said...

you've just put up many things worth reflecting upon and thinking about ;) arigato!