Friday, February 6, 2009

A Comparison of School Life...(School C)

Aerial view of Miri


SMKSJ

A school I am working in and it is my 5th year...going to be 6th in August. It is quite a small school compare to school A and B and it is situated quite near the roadside and beach is just a few minutes walking distance. It is a mission school...Catholic mission school to be exact. My first impression was it is an old school that is rather poor in it's maintenance which I have not much idea why but still quite an ok school.

There is 6 blocks of building, a canteen, a basketball court (which becomes a parking space for teachers...thanks to the "huge" parking space for teachers), a court for multipurpose usage, a limited car park for teachers and no parking space for motorbikes since not many people from this town rides motorbikes, a school field which will be "flooded" when it rains and a school hall which has a badminton court in it.

This is a 2 sessions school. Morning session will start at 0640 till 1320 and afternoon session will start at 1145 till 1815. Funny right how the hours clashes with each other? One of its' kind in whole Malaysia ???? Or not ?

This school has Special Education Program (SEP) which runs on 2 sessions as well due to limited classrooms. Morning session caters for the mild to severe learning disabled of all sorts (Program Khas Bermasalah Pembelajaran) and also the slow learners in Form 4 and 5 (Inclusive Education) which will be taking SPM examination while the afternoon session cater for the slow learners and those who are able to follow normal education system (Inclusive Education) and they will be taking PMR.

SEP were given 1 normal classroom and a sewing room which were renovated to suit the program. Spaces are limited with the increase of students each year. Everything has to be cramped into 2 rooms which sometimes ended up looking like a storeroom rather than a classroom. Thanks to the everyone who "thinks" and "cares" for us. Call it a dumping ground if you like...but with useful rubbish to be "used".

So far I have been here, SEP has moved twice and definately will be moving again because we, like what some said...menumpang di tempat orang. Moving is our job and lastly we were moved to 1st floor which is also one of its' kind in the whole Malaysia ??? Or not ? Just for your information, SEP cannot never be situated on any floor except groundfloor ... and you ask, "Why?" Because my dear readers, our students are special students. Some might be having Cerebral Palsy which restrict their ability to walk, some are with low vision and thank God that we do not yet have any who are using wheel chairs. Plus we have Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) students whom, who knows might just drop down from the 1st floor while being in their active state.

One thing about this school that I think should be different from other schools is they actually teaches Bible Knowledge to all forms but only compulsory to Catholic students though others are welcome. This is a good thing and it just started this year. On this part, I give my salutation.

I think that's all I should share about this place...because if I were to write more, someone would be very angry about me and maybe blacklisted me....hmm... Anyway, life in this school is such...in a more polite word....very challenging and is really testing my patience.

How I survive each day? By reminding myself that, God sent me here for a purpose...for a purpose...I need to get it done...whatever purpose it may be and I must know that mission field is never an easy place especially when you think you should be safe in your own ground (Christian ground). Even Lord Jesus was not excepted in His own place and people. Again...all these for a purpose. I survived by faith.

No comments: