Sunday, May 17, 2009

Happy Teachers' Day


Yesterday was officially a teachers' day but I was so pack with activities that I did not have the energy to blog.

Where was I yesterday on teachers' day? I was in my school busying with Special Education Carnival. Had been busying on this thing a week ago. No matter what, it is done and who cares about it anymore. Nothing that we, Special Education will get from the school anyway...just the use of our name for their sake. Anyway, thank God that everything is done and though the crowds were the worst of my years in this school, yet, the weather was good and was at the peak of exhaustion. I could not even walk properly and what more think properly.

Ok...back to teachers and teaching. This year, will soon be my 6th year in Miri and my vocation as a teacher. I'm glad and never regretted becoming a teacher. What more as a Special Education teacher? I'm so happy being able to teach this bunch of students with learning disabilities. Difficult to control as times but not impossible. All by the grace of God. They are just a bunch of cute "kids"...I really enjoy their presence and being with them. Tired but satisfied. They can really test your patience with their stubbornness and behaviour but well, that's my kids. Angry but yet full of joy.

Sometimes when I just look at my students, I wonder what their future will be like. What is going to happen to them after they finished school? Who is going to take care of them when both their parents are gone? Will their siblings take care of them? Are they going to pass away earlier than their parents? How could I help them live an independent life? Will people hire them to work? How can I reach out to their parents?

There just so many questions in my mind. I dreaded it when people ask me, "What will they do after they finish school?" It sounded as "What is their future?" I don't like to be frank when it comes to their future. For the slow learners, they might have a future because they look normal and act normal and they are just slower in their studies like unable to read and maybe some could not speak as perfectly as normal people but still fine. People will still hire them to work. What about those real special students? Those with down syndrome, autistic, mental retard, plus those with multiple disabilities? In the world standard, I frankly say, they have no future in the working world....maybe not even in the society because the human race are getting less caring each day but are being more self-centered and money minded...everything is about fame, wealth, power. Where does this students stand?

I have only one answer... they are all in the hands of God. God will take care of them. I do not have to worry about them. I just need to do my part, help them learn to be as independent as possible and the rest is up to their parents and God. I could only teach and give them my love and attention while they are here with me. Well, all our future is in the hands of God.

This Teachers' Day, I pay tribute to all my students...my "kids" and thank God for all my kids.

You have all taught me to have a heart, a heart for the people of the world...a heart for the human race. A heart for the rejected.

You taught me to practice faith. You yourselves might not know that there is a God but yet you live each day as if you know there is a God.

You taught me love. Love for God and love for people. God loves you so much that He is always good to all of you in many ways. You are all a bunch a lovable kids in your very own way.

You taught me patience when all of you are always taking your own sweet time in finishing your assignments. When you forgot what I taught you seconds ago. When you did not listen to my advice and got into trouble. When you are so stubborn till I needed to use reverse psychology.

You taught me to have joy as I serve God. You were still able to smile even after I scolded you though some of you will come up with a sour face but it's ok....it's all for your own good.

You taught me not to hold any grudges when you so easily forgives me even after a good scolding and a punishment.

You taught me to learn how to praise because when you were so naughty and stubborn, I only need to use positive reinforcement by praising you, you immediately do what I told you to do or stop doing what I told you not to do. Everyone likes to hear good words from another person.

Through you, God taught me to hold on even when the adults world is turning ugly and unbearable. When people were really bad to me, you were the one that God let me see and I know I needed to hold on for the sake of each and everyone of you. You are all my precious...just as you are all God's special and precious ones.

HAPPY TEACHERS' DAY TO ALL THE TEACHERS IN THE WORLD who desires to make a difference in the lives of their students and who already done that... In the end of the day, it's all for the glory of God, for the extension of the Kingdom of God.

Torey Hayden, an educational psychologist & a special education teacher. She is one of the few great inspiration of mine and a teacher who does not give up on her students. I learnt a lot from her and read almost all her books available. She's is a good living testimony in the world of Special Education for all Special Education Educators.

1 comment:

Ev said...

Happy Belated Teachers Day to you. Many will appreciate what you gave as they grow up.